A conversation with a fellow Christian has spurred me to think in a way that seems distinct from the philosophies and theologies of Christianity that have subsisted for millenia. I want to pause for a second and explain my biases. I am very comfortable with gay culture. I would actually be comfortable propagating it and encouraging individuals to come out of the closet (if they are willing). Why? Because my own sons or daughters might be born gay, lesbian, trans, or asexual.
I think a common Christian tendency might be to say that individuals are not 'born this way,' in the words of Lady Gaga. I am not writing this post to discuss the biological basis of homosexuality or heterosexuality. I am writing to declare my independence.
I declare my independence from the formalized set of rituals church has become. I do not mean any offense to Catholics, but enforcing a set of sacraments, prayers, and saints to venerate seems a little to restricting to me. But, I wouldn't dispute the value of such sacraments.
I declare my independence from evangelical Christianity.
From organized religion.
From atheism.
I follow God.
I follow Jesus.