For context, read this:
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2012/06/atul-gawande-failure-and-rescue.html
Three points from my pastor's sermon yesterday:
1. Ask the right questions
2. Expect the mess
3. Serve
What is rescue?
What is mastery of rescue?
Rescue, in my opinion, is a difficult term. Never mind the definition, it has a whole lot of connotations: who is doing the rescuing? Why would I need to be rescued in the first place? Even if I were "rescued," why would such "rescue" be important?
Now substitute the word "rescue" with the word "saved" in the previous paragraph.
Seekers and nonbelievers may not like the previous sentence. But I think as Christians we are able to appreciate it. We are able to understand that we need to be rescued. That we need to be rescued because of our broken nature. That such rescue is important for the sake of our souls.
Do you think you are broken? Do you think you are human? Do you think you have a soul? Do you think humans have souls?
As a Christian, I think I am broken - I'm human. I think you and I have souls that will outlast our lifespans.
We have put intelligence and intelligent truth on pedestals.
I want to be sincere. I want to be sincere about my insincerity. If you're reading this, I'm sorry. I'm sorry that I hurt you. I'm sorry that I let my ego cloud my judgment.
Only God will decide my fate, but if it is so, it is so. May God have mercy on my soul.