I taught for many years and rarely had seen a student
like Melinda. Ever the bright mind, she was blessed to use it toward her many
passions, which included literature. Her interests, I remember, were “words,
language, philosophy, neuroscience, and love.” It was in the spring time that
she and her classmates were in my class, British Literature.
We were going through Gulliver’s Travels when I realized
that Melinda was honed in, like a cat staring at a human. She was staring
directly into the desk.
“Melinda, what are you doing?”
“Mr. Tumner, I am trying to find the Brobdingnagians.”
The entire class erupted in laughter.
“Melinda, you’re silly. It’s a piece of fiction,” I said.
“How do you know? Have you ever seen a Brobdingnagian?”
“No, but I don’t need to see one to know they don’t
exist.”
“How? Have you looked everywhere?”
“Seeing doesn’t necessarily equate to believing. Our
eyes, as well as our brains can be deceptive. You know as well as us. We
experience the world through a permanent lag, and we see things upside down—our
brilliant brains are at work. We experience bright flashes, eye tears, and
blind spots. Any book of optical illusions should be called ‘brain failures,’
scientists put it.”
“That’s true. But wouldn’t it be wonderful if they
existed?”
The class roared. A boy grabbed the collar of another
boy’s shirt and they cackled with glee.
“No,” I began.
The room teemed with hysteria.
“And I’ll tell you why. Because we’d have to be careful
all the time. We’d never be able to walk on grass, for fear of trampling a
runaway Brobdingnag. And forget about driving. Tiny little freeways? Who’s
going to finance that?”
“Mr. Tumner, I disagree. They wouldn’t cost much at all.
And we have prototypes. Hot Wheels.”
Frank, Danny, and Rob pounded their tables with
uncontrollable pleasure. Rob fell back on his chair.
“Ow.”
“Rob, you okay?”
“I feel a little dizzy. Oh shit! Must’ve killed some
Brobdingnagians!”
My class had turned into a comedy showcase. I had to
regain control.
“Ever the comedian, Rob. Good luck with all those brain
cells you lost. Apparently each header in soccer means 5 brain cells lost.
Pretty soon you’ll have an empty head like Humpy-Dumpty.”
Silence.
I knew it. My jokes
actually work.
Groans began.
“Mr. Tumner, why you gotta always spoil the party? You’re
so lame.”
“Geez, Robbie’s going to have an empty head? That’s all
you got?”
“Heh. Anyway, no. We’ll talk about Brobdingnag later. Who
can summarize Chapter 3?”
Melinda stayed after class that day, and I asked her what
she was ruminating on.
“What’s going on? You’re asking all these silly questions
in class today.”
“Oh, I don’t know. It’s just that I’m having these
discussions about God and having to go to church with my parents, and I brought
up Gulliver’s Travels. I mean, if they believe in God, can’t I believe in
Laputa and the country of the Huy-nims?”
“You’ve been reading ahead. By the way, it’s pronounced
“Hoon-hymns,” like what you sing in church.”
“Ok.”
“But yes, you should be free to believe what you want.
But part of growing up means you have to respect others’ beliefs, even if
they’re contrary to your own. You can agree to politely disagree. And if your
parents want you to go to church, then go. Then go to college and you won’t
have to worry about that.”
“But I hate going. It’s boring sitting with the adults at
Mass and the children’s Bible study is just like looking at picture books for
three hours.”
I sighed. “Well, you have to do what your parents say for
the time being. They feed and clothe you. Don’t bite the hand that feeds and
don’t run away.”
“I won’t.”
I thought of my own faith, how it’d stumbled upon
literature and existential philosophers and fashioned for itself an
intellectualism about it. How I admired Kierkegaard for his lightness and his
seriousness. But most of all, I thought of love, and God’s love, how it
instilled in me an appreciation of nature and the importance of the unseen.
Maybe that’s what I meant when I said seeing didn’t equate to believing, I
thought.
But really, who says we only see with our eyes? Our
imaginations can see into the universe, as Einstein proved and physics continue
to prove. How powerful we are, to know how insignificant we can be! How our
smallest concerns can be part of the whole.
“He will wipe every tear from theirs; and there will be
no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more
pain: for the former things are passed away.”
-Revelation 21:4
-Revelation 21:4
‘God sees each tear as part of the whole; each localized
pain contributes to the ocean of suffering which has been and will be redeemed,’
I thought. I was reminded of Jesus, who cried in the garden of Gethsemane.
What I knew then and still cannot wrap my head around is
that Jesus was no ordinary man, but rather a collection of men and women. A
collection of men and women who mourn the dead, who cry out of sorrow, and feel
pain when things pass away. This, though, was blasphemous; he was a living,
breathing person who spoke the Word of God and performed miracles—how could all
of humanity be him?
I no longer cared as deeply about these questions, though
I cared for Melinda who was tackling a few or all of them. I mourned her
suffering, for I knew how painful it is to disagree fundamentally with someone
you love. A conversation with irreligious grandparents convinced me that it
really is impossible, or at least profoundly sad.
But flowers bloom. And they bloom because ‘the former
things are passed away.’ Their beauty—the yellow dandelions and purple roses
and white lilies and clovers—draw upon humus and soil for the nutrients that
once fed the living. The wind carries the seed and the pollen to further
heights and to old land, to remind it that nothing lasts and the present
exists. Smell it. Feel it. You are the living who stands upon the old and
denatured land, the sprout that refuses to give up in the cold wind.
No comments:
Post a Comment