What’s
hidden are her motivations and emotions as she makes her life into a career.
Evelyn thinks of the ways people have told her to be more assertive in the
workplace, as if being female and nice automatically placed her in that realm
of commentary. ‘Audacity,’ her manager says, is a trait she can work on.
Politics
in the office can be painful and sometimes the stereotypes have held true.
Sometimes
it’s the way Chase sort of lingers around the kitchen area after she’s done
getting her coffee. She knows, or she thinks she knows, what he’s checking out.
It’s
the hours spent before work contemplating where the outfit she’s wearing is too
bold of provocative—all she wants is a day without a remark on her appearance.
So she dresses modestly—some would say boringly. So the attention doesn’t come
biting back in the form of condescension and rolled eyes when she speaks up in
a meeting.
Sometimes
she doesn’t know whether to take a comment personally or not. Did you lose
weight? No, I haven’t. You look pretty today. ‘Thank you,’ following a
blank-faced stare.
‘Can you do it? Do you understand?’
She
wants to say: ‘Yes. You don’t have to explain twice. I’m perfectly capable.’
Each
swirl of the coffee stirring straw, each blink of the timestamp’s colon on her
phone, and each sip of tea remind her how lucky she is to have an office job.
No waiting on tables, no bending and lifting packages, no handling wrinkled
bills. But it also means: little to no interaction with people. No particularized
suffering—no customer-induced frustration—but no excitement in the dalliance of
everyday life.
What’s
left are the awkward office interactions about length of commute as she fills
up in the break room. And then the obligatory ‘Have a great rest of your day’
as they go separate ways, to each their own domains to accomplish the mission-critical
business objectives of the day.
…
She
starts to walk the path surrounding the lake. A good day to bring flats.
Peering at the glimmering surface of the water, she contemplates what her life
has become.
The
lights outline the sides of the lake and the vastness is projected like the
sky.
“I miss
hanging out with you.”
“Yeah,
I know.”
“But
you can’t say the same about me.”
“…”
“…”
“What
she did to you was a little messed up.”
“Yeah,
but who’s going to believe me?”
“Me.”
“Because
I was with you.”
“Which
is the problem.”
“The
problem is that I was in the right—I did nothing wrong. I’ve been by her side
for years. And what does she do in those years? She sells coffee to dreamers
and businessmen, to artists and Wall Street traders, to the young and the old.
I mean, I thought something would become of it, like a nascent dream of opening
her own bakery. Instead, she puts a smile on and doesn’t seem to notice people
are trying to flirt with her. I know because she tells me everything, or used
to tell me everything.
Nothing happens. That’s the problem. There’s
no story, nothing to go off of, nothing to get mad about. And here I am getting mad about nothing.”
“Are
you looking for an excuse to be mad at her?”
“Yeah.
I mean, I don’t understand how we were able to be in the same room for so long
and talk so little about anything of substance. The crazy thing is that we
could have gone on forever. We could have had a life in that house until one of
us died.”
“Until
signs of life evaporated.”
“Until
something like this happened,” Tom sighed.
“Sometimes
I wonder if Cory has feelings.”
“She
does. But it’s—it was all toward me. But on everything else—furniture, having
kids, vacations, it seems like I was making the decisions for her.”
“She
really invested in you.”
“Yeah.
And I feel bad, because maybe I was just making all these decisions without any
input from her. I mean, we usually discussed them beforehand, but sometimes I’d
go ahead and buy a table and she’d be home, saying ‘I like it. Thanks.’”
“She’s
really one of a kind.”
“They
both are.”
“Her
and Evelyn?”
“Yeah.”
She
stares down at her red dress, and contemplates the last time that she felt like
this. College, maybe. When she’d trek across campus with a heavy-ass tripod and
manual camera with film. When her fingers would smell like silver nitrate after
a developing session and she’d be afraid to touch her face.
Georgia
thinks, and a world envelopes in front of her eyes. A world of wonder and
science and the poetry of nature, the songs that birds sing that cannot be
falsified. Faith and irrefutable logic—chess moves that unfold themselves like
origami. The universe in a nutshell.
How to convince people. It is not through 2+2=4. It is through 2+2; show them the equation and they will find the answer. The most important thing is the question. The river of human intelligence can only be filled by an ocean of emotion. Stories—storytelling—will save the world, because the world can only be saved through relational thought.
How to convince people. It is not through 2+2=4. It is through 2+2; show them the equation and they will find the answer. The most important thing is the question. The river of human intelligence can only be filled by an ocean of emotion. Stories—storytelling—will save the world, because the world can only be saved through relational thought.
Love—it
is why men will wait in traffic for hours to get back home, to read to their
children. It is why mothers at the table will insist on their children eating
first. Here, eat.
It is love that drives every emotion, every thought and every action. Hate is the absence of love—it is like a cardboard box that is closed and taped up. But while hate takes up empty space in a human heart, love opens that box and fills it with a child’s blanket, teddy bear, and a mother’s embrace. Observe and keep in mind: even a teardrop of love changes the color of water, pushing molecules into activity.
It is love that drives every emotion, every thought and every action. Hate is the absence of love—it is like a cardboard box that is closed and taped up. But while hate takes up empty space in a human heart, love opens that box and fills it with a child’s blanket, teddy bear, and a mother’s embrace. Observe and keep in mind: even a teardrop of love changes the color of water, pushing molecules into activity.
Her
mother died early, and she was acquainted with sadness at an early age. But she
credits this with teaching her happiness. She remembers the empty afternoons
finishing math homework while watching TV, wishing that someone would tell her
to turn it off and focus, for once. It always took her longer than necessary to
finish her problem sets. When she had her brother to cherish, all they could
was watch cartoons.
Ellen
Degeneres filled the void of motherhood in her adolescence. She was the voice
of comfort in her ubiquitous humor and therapeutic way of talking. Behind
those gray eyes that always looked a little watery, Georgia liked to think that
there was a deep well of sadness in Ellen. She looked the type to cry easily,
and thus reminded her of her mother.
She’s
forgot about the prospect of a happy ending—all that matters is a hearty
chuckle at the end of the day. Ellen’s silliness, then, was a palliative.
Sometimes
having nothing is okay, because you start to fill it with memories.
“Do you
miss it? When she was there?”
“No.”
“Why
not?”
“Because
I’ve come all this way without her. Somehow I made it work through high school
and through college even when it got really lonely in sophomore year. I used to
sit huddled up in my chair waiting for night to come, just sad about things. I
wrote a little poetry but sometimes even that got depressing after a while. I
really came to understand what it meant to cry yourself to sleep. I don’t think
I’ve really slept well since my teenage years.”
“I kind
of remember that period in your life. You were… sort of hard to meet up with,
actually.”
“Yeah.
I wanted to stay in my room. I had skin problems.”
“Oh, it
wasn’t all that bad. You looked okay. What were you sad about?”
“I
thought it was bad. The weird thing is I couldn’t tell you today if I tried. Probably
not feeling adequate in terms of academics or social life. Here were all these
people partying and working on group projects, and I was struggling to put
words together in sentences in my essays. And I just—I just felt so lonely
after breaking up with Paul. I don’t know how I made it through that fall
sophomore semester. I even got good grades.”
“Why’d
you feel lonely?”
“Who
knows?”
No comments:
Post a Comment