Thursday, January 6, 2011

To: Anonymous

Anonymous said...









          Would your point about electrons apply to believers as well? They wouldn't be able to make claims for the existence of a god either.
          The way i see it with electrons is that we are confined by our own physical capabilities and still lack the technology to see something that small. I think something important to note about electrons though is there is hard evidence that they exist.







shouldauld said...





         To Anonymous: I think logically, you're right--in the end, it's impossible to prove God's existence one way or the other (as any grad student in philosophy will tell you).
         I take your point seriouslyI've heard it before from my atheist friends. I think my point about science is that not only are human beings are confined by own phys/tech capabilities, but we are also confined by the fact that we don't even know what our confinements (limitations) are. I mean, we only recently confirmed the existence of dark matter a few decades ago.
         Science is a great tool for understanding the universe, but it doesn't purport to explain more than it does. Because science is so flexible, everything that we know now in science can be unraveled/disproved/changed later. Remember Lamarck's transmutation of species? Of course, science gets better over time. But the scary thing is we don't even know how much of the universe we do understand. The simple fact is that we are finite human beings lacking a complete understanding of the universe.
         If we only understand the sliver of the universe that we understand/have run tests on/seen through a telescope, then isn't it a little presumptuous for us to be making claims about things/concepts/beings we do not understand?
         Finally, your point about "hard evidence"… doesn’t it depend on what you consider “hard evidence”? I for one, believe electrons exist. I also believe that God exists and have what I think is hard evidence to back that up (I will post my testimony in a week or so). I don’t think the two beliefs are incompatible. I think a serious and legitimate case can be made for the compatibility of science and religion.
         Anonymous, thank you for reading and I hope you continue to contribute. Your comment was very thought-provoking and I think this is the best way to have a dialogue. Feel free to keep debating and disputing my pointsI don't want my words to be taken for granted, necessarily. I want them to be proven/defended. I will attempt to respond with at least a paragraph to each question commenters pose.
         Again, I'm sorry this response was so long, but your comment was well-worded and very interesting. I want to listen to what you (Anonymous and others) have to say so keep on saying it!





No comments: