What can I say about ... the horrors of what happened. I'm currently reading about gun violence in the states, the statistics are not for the faint-hearted.
But I wonder and I wonder, if this is all there is. I'm reminded of Gandhi's quote, "When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."
I've seen a few statuses on Facebook that the Sandy Hook incident "shook their faith in humanity." But I wonder if this is really true. Not that I doubt the sincerity of their convictions, but I think human nature is a little bit more complex than that.
In each of the tragic shootings this year, we've also witnessed incredible acts of heroism. Whether it was police lieutenant Brian Murphy at the Oak Creek shooting of the Sikh temple, or those to dove to save their loved ones in the Aurora and Arizona shootings, or even these teachers who saved the lives of children yesterday:
http://www.businessinsider.com/sandy-hook-teacher-gives-harrowing-account-of-how-she-barricaded-her-class-behind-a-bathroom-door-2012-12
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/14/newtown-teacher-saved-boy-sandy-hook_n_2302472.html
Still think teachers are overpaid? ... Kidding.
When I despair about the Sandy Hook shooting, I think and read about the courage of those who stand up to violence. A school psychologist who died trying to stop the perpetrator. Teachers dying for their children.
And I ask myself, would I be able to do this? As someone interested in education, I ask myself how I would react. Whether I would be strong enough to act—to lay down my life for my students. And to this I say I don't know. I don't know if I would be the hero at the end of the day.
But you know, goodness exists, and humanity is strong. This incident does not shake my faith; it bolsters it and it lets me know that power ultimately rests in the hands that protect. Protect innocence. For life is a great sea of troubles and happiness, a sinusoidal wave that is unceasing, and love that remains.
Don't despair. Tyrants and murderers pass; love lives on in the memory of goodness.
No comments:
Post a Comment