The cold is an equalling thing. It humbles—it nips at your sides when you're not looking. And the cold does not discriminate. You'll see the barely breathing worn coat-wearing homeless people crouching over vents trying to get warm.
But how about this? Coldness represents a kind of numbness, a spiritual numbness that just kind of sets in over time, without your consciousness necessary, and makes you feel, more or less, worthless. And here I pay attention to the use of the word 'numb,' meaning without motion or feeling.
I've sort of been struck by this Youtube video which is set in Florence. Oh boy, Ive turned on the cheesiness knob all the way to 100%, haven't I? Jason Chen walks with his significant other (interesting that he has several of them in several of his videos), doing romantic things.
I have a theory: coldness is about distance. We call cold people distant; or perhaps they have distant personalities. Well, scientifically, it's about distance as well; the amount of arc exposed to the sun by the tilt of the earth produces summer and winter.
...
...
This election cycle, I wasn't blown away by either of the major candidates, our President or Governor Romney. My nonprofit work has convinced me that government is still woefully inefficient in addressing homelessness and poverty.
That's why I am hesitant in celebrating the President's victory: because in my opinion, victors do not or should not have victims. But considering that still so much of this country is mired in stagnation, unemployment, and a slow economy, I'd argue there are still victims. There are still victims of poverty(whose numbers have grown since this President has taken office).
I am hesitant because we are still stuck in this two-party dynamic, when a third of the American electorate is actually registered as Independent. When will we declare our independence from the two-party system, which stifles accurate representation and citizen expression? When will minorities vote from their hearts, and not out of imagined fear of the other party, for their individual interests, not necessarily for a certain party out of habit or the idea (that ____ Americans always vote Democratic, and that's the way it should be).
Come on. Let's celebrate when Asian Americans become a voting demographic and not a voting bloc. I see a future in which America is red, blue, and green: where third parties can have free reign.
That's why I am hesitant in celebrating the President's victory: because in my opinion, victors do not or should not have victims. But considering that still so much of this country is mired in stagnation, unemployment, and a slow economy, I'd argue there are still victims. There are still victims of poverty(whose numbers have grown since this President has taken office).
I am hesitant because we are still stuck in this two-party dynamic, when a third of the American electorate is actually registered as Independent. When will we declare our independence from the two-party system, which stifles accurate representation and citizen expression? When will minorities vote from their hearts, and not out of imagined fear of the other party, for their individual interests, not necessarily for a certain party out of habit or the idea (that ____ Americans always vote Democratic, and that's the way it should be).
Come on. Let's celebrate when Asian Americans become a voting demographic and not a voting bloc. I see a future in which America is red, blue, and green: where third parties can have free reign.
No comments:
Post a Comment